DEFINITION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal information is defined as any information about an identifiable individual including information that can be used to recognize, identify or contact a specific individual, whether it concerns an email address, where an individual lives, or which interests, causes and organizations he or she supports. Personal information does not include most business contact information such as the name, title, business address, or business telephone or fax number or business email address of an employee of an organization, and certain publicly available information.
Amrita Translation Foundation Cherishes Right to Privacy
Your privacy and security are very important to us. Amrita Translation Foundation respects your right to privacy and is determined to protect the personal information you provide to us. The information we collect through our website is used to facilitate donation collection and processing, provide tax receipts, process online account registrations and communicate news and updates. Amrita Translation Foundation does not license, trade, sell or rent your personal information in any way.
Amrita Translation Foundation observes the following privacy practices from its direct-to-donor site where visitors can donate.
o Amrita Translation Foundation collects information only for specified purposes.
o We only require that you provide the necessary amount of personal information to provide any service, as required by law or by the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
o Personal information gathered by Amrita Translation Foundation is held in the strictest confidence and is protected by industry standard best practices.
What Information We Collect
We collect a variety of information. Some examples include:
o Contact Information – such as your name and email address
o Purchase Information – such as the donation items you made or merchandise you purchased, payment method and/or billing information
o Preferences – such as your contact and marketing preferences
Amrita Translation Foundation has been following 8 privacy principles under PIPEDA:
o Amrita Translation Foundation is responsible for personal information in our custody or under our control and we have designated a Privacy Official who is accountable for Amrita Translation Foundation compliance with PIPEDA. There are other individuals within the Foundation who are responsible for day to day collection and management of personal information.
- Identifying Purposes
Amrita Translation Foundation collects and uses personal information for the following purposes:
o To allow users to create or register for an Amrita Translation Foundation account and to manage those accounts.
o To administer pre-authorized recurring donations.
o To generate statistics and aggregate reports for internal and external use.
o To communicate directly with users, including through Amrita Translation Foundation service news and updates we think will be of interest to you, or other forms of communications.
o To provide client support and help.
o Contact you with newsletters, marketing or promotional materials
o Provide information to Amrita Translation Foundation’s affiliated organizations for marketing and advertising purposes
- Consent to use personal information
o Amrita Translation Foundation collects personal information about you only when you voluntarily provide it or otherwise only with your consent as required by PIPEDA or by other applicable law.
o We will not, as a condition of the supply of our service, require you to consent to the collection, use or disclosure of information beyond that required to fulfill the explicitly specified and legitimate purposes for which the information is being provided.
o A user may withdraw his or her consent to use his or her personal information at any time, subject to any legal or contractual restrictions. If you wish to withdraw your consent, please contact the Privacy Official of Amrita Translation Foundation as described below. We will inform you of the implications of withdrawing consent.
o If you do not wish to receive marketing communications from us or participate in more personalized information and services, you may unsubscribe by following the directions provided with the communication.
- Limiting Collection
Amrita Translation Foundation limits the collection of personal information to that which is reasonably necessary for the identified purpose. The types of information Amrita Translation Foundation collects can be summarized as follows:
- Personal Information provided to Amrita Translation Foundation: We collect certain personal information directly from individuals who interact with our website or otherwise with us, including the following:
o Contact information (such as name, address, e-mail address and telephone number);
o Financial and billing information (such as credit card number/expiration date, broker and financial advisor information); and
o Account username and password information.
- Non-Personal Information: When donors, volunteers, or other organizations access the secure section of our website, anonymous, non-personal information about their visit is automatically collected. This information may include the date of the visit, how the visitor uses the website, the length of the visit, what pages the visitor viewed, the type of browser and operating system being used, and the domain name of the visitor’s Internet service provider. Amrita Translation Foundation may also collect statistics that describe how our visitors use our site. This information might include the average donation amount, the geographic breakdown of donations by area, and what times of the day have the heaviest traffic. None of these statistics reveal any personally-identifiable or individual information and Amrita Translation Foundation does not use any of this information to identify individuals.
- Cookie-based Information: When our clients, donors, and volunteers access the secure section of our website, a small text file called a ‘cookie’ is sent from our web server to their web browser and is stored on their computer. Cookies allow us to recognize users while he or she is logged into our website. Cookies expire when the browser window is closed. Session Cookies employed by our website are strictly used to perform the function that the user intended, such as keeping the user logged into the service in a secure fashion. Some browsers can be set to reject all cookies. If you choose to modify your browser in this manner, some pages of this website may not function properly.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
o Amrita Translation Foundation retains personal information only as long as is necessary for the fulfillment of those purposes for which it was collected or as required by law, and your consent to such purposes(s) remains valid after termination of our relationship with you.
o Amrita Translation Foundation does not use or disclose personal information for purposes other than those for which it was collected, except with the consent of the individual or as permitted or required by law.
o Amrita Translation Foundation does not disclose credit card account information provided by users except to the appropriate banking institutions or payment processing provider in order to process a credit or debit authorization for payment, or to resolve a dispute.
o Amrita Translation Foundation may have to disclose personal information to satisfy a law, regulation or government request, or to satisfy a subpoena, search warrant or legitimate court order.
Amrita Translation Foundation makes reasonable effort to keep personal information accurate, complete and as up to date as is necessary for the purposes that are being used. Individuals are permitted to check on the accuracy of their personal information and may make, or request, modifications or corrections, if necessary. Amrita Translation Foundation depends on individuals and organizations to help it in maintaining the completeness, accuracy, and timeliness of the information collected. You must log-in to your Amrita Translation Foundation online account to update, modify, correct or delete your personal information.
o All Amrita Translation Foundation staff members are made aware of the need to maintain strict confidentiality of all personal information.
o Amrita Translation Foundation makes commercially reasonable efforts to protect personal information from loss, theft, unauthorized access, copying, use, modification, disclosure and destruction by establishing and maintaining appropriate security safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity level of the information.
o Amrita Translation Foundation has thorough security standards to protect our systems and personal information against unauthorized access and use. This includes the security protections required by PCI compliance as well as specific procedures to keep donation information secure, private and in Canada.
Canada’s Anti-Spam Legislation (CASL)
CASL applies to Amrita Translation Foundation communications with users, donors or volunteers. Amrita Translation Foundation is working hard to comply with CASL and in particular the provisions setting out the requirements for sending commercial electronic messages.